The Fondation Zdenek et Michaela Bakala (FZMB) in Geneva grants international scholarships to students or research fellows to give them an opportunity to study at top-ranked universities in the United States or the United Kingdom, such as Cambridge, Harvard, Oxford, Stanford, Yale, etc. (this enumeration not being limitative or exhaustive). The program is available to students or research fellows from the University of Geneva (UNIGE), University of Lausanne (UNIL), Swiss Federal Institute of Technology of Lausanne (EPFL), the Graduate Institute of International and Development Studies of Geneva, the University of Zurich (UZH), the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology of Zurich (ETH Zurich) and the University of St. Gallen (UNISG). The program does not include students at the Bachelor’s level or Erasmus students.
Eligible for the scholarships are students or research fellows with a high academic performance but without the required financial resources to study at a top foreign institution in the US or the UK. The scholarships aim to cover tuition fees as well as living expenses if required.
The scholarships support studies in the foreign university in the following areas:
- a complete Master’s diploma
- one or more semesters during a Swiss Master
- a Doctorate (PhD)
- one or more semesters during a Swiss Doctorate (PhD)
- academic excellence
- financial needs
- admission or pre-admission at the foreign university (to be obtained at the latest for the interview)
- registration (min. during the last 3 years) at a Swiss university
- registration (min. during the last 1 year) at the Graduate Institute
- resident in Switzerland during the last 5 years (for tax reasons)
Application must include:
- FZMB Application Form, available on the website of our partner Swiss university
The FZMB Scholarship Application with all annexes completed, dated and signed must be sent by post directly to the university where the student or research fellow is registered within the indicated deadlines.
No direct application to the Foundation.
A selection committee at the respective Swiss university where the student is registered carries out a pre-selection. Members of the pre-selection committees may vary from one university to another but will usually include one or more professors from the student’s chosen field of study or research and the director and responsible persons of the Swiss university’s mobility department.
Date interview – Monday 6 May 2019
Date selection – Wednesday 24 May 2019